4.10.10

73. BIG BANG THEORY.



I’m seeing loads of these big retro fringes (or big bangs if you like) around at the moment and I have a theory, that this kind of particular fringe seems to have it’s roots in late 60s perhaps early 70s. Hear me out, all of the Rollingstone girlfriends had them —Marianne Faithfull (pictured above), Anita Pallenberg, Pattie Boyd—had those big fringes with mystic rock cred. In France, très chic singers such as Jane Birkin and Françoise Hardy peered out from beneath deep heavy cut brunette bangs, forever imbuing the style with a touch of je ne sais quoi.

Now back in the 21st century it seems actress Zooey Deschanel and Anne Hathaway are paying tribute to a bygone era. So to models Freya Beha Erichsen, Jamie bochert, Lou doillion and Irina Lazareanu. The photo below of Abbet lee Kershaw is a dead-ringer for Marianne Faithful.

Quick history of the fringe or bangs.

The “invention” of bangs as a women’s hairstyle is generally credited to a musician/hairstylist named Ziryab from Spain in the ninth century and introduced a wildly popular short-in-the-front, long-at-the-sides coiffure.

And so it began with a bang, not a whimper. Why do they call it bangs?




Pictured above Marianne Fathful, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Paty Boyd. Natasha Khan, Irina Lazareanu, Jane Birkin, Françoise Hardy, Chan Marshal (Cat Power), Anne Hathaway and Zooey Deschanel.




3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I consider myself getting blunt bangs again, especially when I see gorgeous models who can pull off this style in a pretty way.

    I've adopted blunt bangs for several months, then eventually got tired of styling it everyday. I find blunt bangs to be very high maintenance so I've grown my blunt bangs as a side fringe for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bangs - wish I could pull off as well as these lovely ladies! :)

    - Friend in Fashion
    www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

    P.S. be sure to check out my fashion giveaway!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, in the UK and other English-speaking countries, in my limited experience, they call them "fringe," not "bangs." Great illustrative photos in any event, thanks!

    ReplyDelete